Home » » Chipotle Lettuce Wraps

Chipotle Lettuce Wraps

I love sushi. I don't love rice. The last time I went out to a sushi restaurant with my friend Christine, she looked at me like I was a lunatic when I picked the rice out of the roll. Not only is that process very difficult, it is not something you can do discreetly. I do appreciate the purpose of the rice. One, it is sticky and keeps the roll together. Two, it is sort of a tasteless filler that sits among the good stuff. I solved the sticky problem with an avocado paste. I solved the flavorless filler issue with hard boiled egg whites.  So here is my riceless, yet as just as delicious version of sushi. 

Paleo Sushi Roll
Nori (toasted seaweed paper)
2 oz. Wild-caught Smoked Salmon, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
1/4 cucumber, cut into tiny match sticks
1/8 red bell pepper, cut into tiny matchsticks
1 hardboiled egg, yolk removed, sliced into matchsticks
2 oz. avocado 
1/2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp granulated ginger
1 tsp sriracha
wasabi paste, for serving
wheat free tamari or soy sauce, for serving

Lay 1 piece of nori, shiny side down, on a piece of plastic wrap. Mash together avocado, lime juice, ginger and sriracha. Smear evenly over the nori. Pile up half the salmon, cucumber, bell pepper, and egg white on one end of the nori. Carefully roll it up. Repeat with the other piece of nori and the other half of ingredients.

Very carefully, with a very sharp knife, slice the rolls into pieces. I got about 4 per roll. 

Serve with wasabi and and tamari (or soy sauce). 


 324
SHARE